Thursday, August 2, 2012

4-H Fair Season

"It isn't fair week until you argue with your children..." I think someone should make a t-shirt with that quote. 4-H is all fun and games until it is time to start (and finish) all those projects that sounded so much fun in May when you signed up for them. I am a product of McLean County 4-H. My mom was our 4-H leader for the Bellflower Pride of the Prairie. She also served on the county fair board for quite a few years, she held various positions on the Home Ec committe. She even served as the superintendent in-charge of the King and Queen and court during fair week. I have awesome memories of my 4-H days. We didn't go on vacation anywhere fancy during the summer, we went to the fair. This was also when the fair was at the "old" location, where Lowe's currently sits. I really loved the fashion revue, I loved watching it until I was old enough to be in it, and I LOVED being a part of it. That was my favorite project. It was worth all the fights mom and I would get in sewing whatever project I was creating. Over the years, I learned my fashion tastes and those of the older judges weren't the same, so in my later years of 4-H I tended to create more "mature" items to model. The biggest part of the fashion revue was to be one of the top 10 models. This was my ultimate goal, I wanted one of those darn silver platters they received! Finally, in my last year (as an 11 year 4-Her, gotta love having a "late birthday" I was picked as one of the top 10!!! I also was chosen a few times to model at the state fair. State fair was always fun because you could tell which girls were from McLean County, we know how to work a stage!!! My love for the fashion revue carried over for a few years after my 4-H years, as I was the superintendent of those shows. I don't miss having to write all those description cards and getting everyone lined up, but I do miss the friends I made along the way. Thanks to facebook, I have found a few of those 4-H families! This memory was due to a conversation I had with one of the members of our 4-H club. Her mom said she was doing the fashion revue on Saturday because she LOVED it so much last year....and I know exactly why she loves it!!!

No comments: